A research paper represents a set of student’s skills gained during a particular educational period. It’s a summary of such skills as:
- knowledge of a specific subject
A research paper may be longer than a typical essay. So, it usually requires more than 1 page (275 words). But you should stick to the requested writing style (MLA, Chicago, etc.) the most frequent paper format used in research papers is APA. Every part, including the conclusion, is written in accordance with its guidelines.
While the introduction is often considered the most important part of the academic paper, the conclusion is still the section which influences your final grade. As far as your conclusion is so critical, we should take a look at the methods used to develop an excellent last paragraph.
BEGIN WITH A THESIS STATEMENT
Repeat your thesis statement at the end of your research paper. In fact, both introduction and conclusion focus on the thesis. However, in the first case, the student must state it in the last sentence. In the closing paragraph, you begin with the thesis statement to remind your readers of what you were talking about and why. The only difference you have to mind is that you must restate your thesis in the first statement of your conclusion. You may also do it in the last sentence of your entire research paper.
- Do not waste a large amount of space on restating your topic. The size of the key sentence should be no longer than its original shape in the first paragraph. In other words, avoid wordiness.
- If you managed to write a perfect academic paper with strong arguments, there is no need to explain every single point from your paper once again. Just summarize the main idea of each paragraph.
- If you are writing a research paper in accounting, your thesis in conclusion might be restated as: “Proper accounting research should solve the problems associated with the effective and wise allocation of resources.”
- In case your assigned essay is dedicated to the field of healthcare and nursing, the last paragraph may restate the first sentence this way: “A good ophthalmic manager is the one who possesses research, communication, organization and sales skills.”
SUMMARIZE WHATEVER WAS DISCUSSED
Once again, the summary is not the same as rewriting. The conclusion cannot occupy more than 10% of your research essay. Mind this fact when watching after word count. If you post a question in the introduction, make sure a clear answer is mentioned in the end. Do not leave any questions opened. This service can show you how to avoid mistakes.
Follow these simple rules if you want to come up with a good conclusion:
- Review the topic sentence at each paragraph to recall what you were talking about. That is why it is better to develop an outline for your research paper even when you’re not assigned one. You may describe the way your conclusion must look in the end.
- Do not go into too many details. Wordiness is not what teachers expect from you. Restate each of the main points shortly.
- Do not include any new information in your conclusion! Address every new point in each corresponding paragraph (one idea per one paragraph). Conclusion exists only for a SINGLE restated sentence from each body paragraph.
- Even if your information is not a new one, still try to make it as concise as possible. Here is almost a perfect example of research paper conclusion of one Literature class student:
- To conclude, “Fathers, Where Are They, and the Prophets, Do They Live Forever" and "Women Who Run with the Wolves" are two philosophical stories with similar messages and topics, but the structure, genres and target audience make them different.”
IT’S ALL ABOUT EFFECTIVE CALL-TO-ACTION
Call-to-action (CTA) is a great marketing tool that may even help to develop a good research essay closure. You just need to know how to use it properly or read the additional information here. Mind that CTA represents evidence to continue research after reading your essay. So, you should motivate your readers to find more information on their own only when the discussed ideas are rather contradictive or still have no single, objective explanation. Once you master the art of writing CTAs, you have all chances to become a successful salesperson one day.
Make readers want to read more on the specific topic! Call-to-action is an extra option to be added to your research paper conclusion. It depends on the type of academic project you work on. E.g., a research paper on literary criticism or review does not look like it requires a CTA.
If we speak about the influence of alcoholic beverages on human organism and body, such sort of academic paper may benefit from including call-to-action in the last sentence of the last paragraph.
If you address social needs, for example, your research paper will benefit from having a CTA. You encourage people to invest more into charity or volunteer. It may make your conclusion look more inspiring and persuasive.
You can pose a question or make a suggestion in the end. However, it’s not really recommended to enclose your conclusion with a question unless the topic is not really well studied or belongs to subjective issues like:
- Social status
- Sexual orientation
SOME MORE USEFUL HINTS
In addition to everything said above, make sure that you avoid beginning your conclusion with trivial phrases like “In conclusion...” or “To sum up...” Another purpose is not to change the tone of your research paper in the end. When writing, you have to keep to the voice you used in the introduction.
It can also be said about writing illogical things. Make sure your conclusion is related to every part of the written paper. Actually, a good way is to start each paragraph with the last idea of the previous one. As for the conclusion, you have to include all last points stated in each paragraph.
Writing an academic paper usually takes a lot of time and efforts. If you want to maximize your chance to have an excellent introduction, body, and conclusion, the best ways are to get an essay sample or order full custom research paper from the team of professional writers.