- Ultimate Guide on Opinion Essay Writing with Topics and Examples
- What is an opinion essay
- Opinion essay structure and format
- Essay outline
- How to write an opinion essay step-by-step
- How to start an opinion essay
- Main body
- 3.Proofreading and editing
- Phrases to introduce opinion in an essay
- Good opinion essay topics
- Opinion essay writing tips from professionals
- Need essay writing help?
Received an assignment to write an opinion essay and want to receive an A for it? You are in the right place! In this article we explain all the peculiarities of the opinion essay, including structure, writing process, tips, as well as offer a list of great opinion essay topics and examples of papers
What is an opinion essay
Opinion essay is one of the most common types of academic writing. It is a paper in which the student should state their opinion on a particular issue underpinning their arguments with relevant examples and facts. Students often ask, Is opinion essay the same as persuasive or argumentative essay? Because in those essays you also have to state your opinion. The answer is no. In an argumentative and persuasive essay you should present contradicting points of view and convince the audience to take your side. In an opinion essay you just present your view point.
Opinion essay structure and format
So, what is the structure of this paper. An opinion essay has classical structure. It should consist of at least five paragraphs: introduction, three body paragraphs, and conclusion. However, always make sure to check your specific instructions. I particular, check its length. For examples, you might be required to write a 1000 word essay. In such a case, 5 paragraphs will not be enough; it is the minimum.
Regarding the opinion essay format, it also depends. The most common formatting styles are APA, MLA, and Chicago. You should check the instructions given to you, and then format your assay according to the format requirements.
To have a better understanding of how an opinion essay looks like. Check the outline:
- Hook sentence
- Introduce the topic
- Background information on the topic
- Thesis statement
Main body paragraphs
- Introduce one viewpoint per paragraph
- Explain your point of view
- Underpin it with relevant examples and facts
- Use linking devices
- Restate thesis statement
- Synthesize the main ideas
- Conclude the whole paper
How to write an opinion essay step-by-step
To write an opinion essay fast you should have a writing plan and understand the order of the process. Usually, it consists of three steps; namely, preparation, writing, editing Check this algorithm to write your essay fast.
Before you start writing your paper do the following:1.Make sure you understand the assignment. Even if you do not start writing immediately after class, check whether you understand the assignment not to be in trouble the last night before the deadline. If something is unclear, ask you professor for clarification
2.Choose the topic. If the topic was not assigned to you, then you should choose it by yourself. Brainstorm and search online
3.Make a research to find enough info. After you are done with the topic, check online or in your books, whether there is enough information on this topics, so that you could cover within the requested word count
4.Create a strong thesis statement. Thesis statement is the main idea of the paper. Thus, it is logical to draft a thesis statement first, and then develop the supporting idea. Make sure that your thesis statement is:
- Paper specific
- Expresses your view point
- Is not a quote or a fact
If you have followed the previous steps, writing an opinion essay according to the outline will be easy.
How to start an opinion essay
Introduction is the very first part of an essay a reader sees. Thus, the mission of this part is to spark the reader’s interest. For this reason, it is recommended to start an essay with a hook sentence. A hook can be:
- An interesting or unknown fact
- A relevant quote
- A joke
- Real-life example
- A provocative question or statement
- An advice given to you
- Your own insight
Considering the opinion essay is rather personal, we recommend starting it with a real-life example, advice that changed your life, or your insight. After this, introduce your topic and provide some general information on it. Finish your introduction with a strong and debatable thesis statement.
As already mentioned, the body should consist of at least three paragraphs.They usually have the same structure. Also, make sure that your paragraphs are balanced
- Express one view point per paragraph
- All the ideas in the paragraphs should develop the thesis statement
- Each paragraph should have a topic statement, supporting and controlling ideas, and a concluding paragraph
- Do not repeat the same idea in several paragraphs
- Develop your ideas logically and express them clearly
The final part of the essay is the conclusion. So, how to conclude the opinion essay:
- Restate your thesis statement, but do not copy paste it
- Summarize the main points of your opinion essay. Do not repeat them, synthesize.
- Provide a general conclusion to your essay by answering the So what sentence.
- Create a title for your essay. It is recommended to create the title in the very end of the writing process, as after you have covered all the points, you may come up with the most pertinent title for your paper.
3.Proofreading and editing
The last stage of the essay writing is editing the paper. Make sure to always leave yourself a few minutes for this process. As regardless of how good your essay is, careless mistakes often reduce the mark. Thus, always proofread your essay for different types of mistakes (grammar, style, spelling, word choice).
Also, do not forget to check your essay for different types of plagiarism. It is a serious issue, and might cost you a mark. So, even if you have written the whole essay by yourself , to be on the safe side, check it to avoid unintentional plagiarism.
Phrases to introduce opinion in an essay
To make your essay coherent, cohesive, and easy to read, you should use linking devices. They allow smooth transition between the ideas and sentences. Here are some linking words that help to introduce opinion:
- In my opinion/view
- I believe
- I am reckoned
- To my mind
- I am convinced that
- From my point of view
- I am inclined to believe that
- It is clear that
- I am convinced that
- Another reason is
- In spite of/ despite smth/ despite the fact that/ although
- In contrast
- For instance
- It suggest that
- Apart from that
Good opinion essay topics
If you are ready to write the opinion essay but struggle choosing the topic, check our list. You might choose a good topic for yourself. Or, at least it might serve as an inspiration for you:
- Should immigrants be given a right to vote?
- Who was the most effective president of the US?
- Ecology education should be obligatory in schools
- Euthanasia should be forbidden. It is a crime
- Social networks should be blocked within the educational institutions
- The best ways to cope with stress
- Do professional sportsmen receive a too high salary?
- Social media blocks people’s critical thinking
- Idealized body image on Instagram is the source of psychological problems in teenage girls
- What is a better iPhone or Android?
- Does social media spread cultural bias?
- Is online or distant learning as effective as traditional schooling?
- Student should be able to choose subjects to learn at school
- Murals are an art or vandalism?
- Should sexual education be compulsory in schools?
- Are same-sex effective in 2020?
- Recycling should become a lifestyle
- Can standardized tests adequately measure students’ skills and abilities?
- Does sport help to perform better in class?
- Should sportsmen receive scholarships?
Opinion essay writing tips from professionals
We have collected tips from professional writers that will help make your essay flawless. After you have written your paper, check this list to make sure you have followed all the points.
- Make sure the topic is relevant
- Follow the essay instructions provided by professor
- Ensure you have all the structural components of an essay: intro, thesis statement, main body, and conclusion
- Use linking words
- Express our ideas clearly and logically
- Make sure to proofread grammar, formatting, and stylistic mistakes
- Do not repeat the same idea or sentence
- Do not introduce contradicting ideas
- You can use first person narration in an opinion essay
- Keep calm and get an A+