- How to Write Compare and Contrast Essay: Can You Tell the Difference?
- Compare and Contrast Essay Outline: 2 Different Approaches
- How to Write Compare and Contrast Essay: Defining This Type of Paper
- Prewriting Stage
- Compare and Contrast Essays Introduction. How to Start
- Main Body
- The Importance of Comparing and Contrasting
- Compare and Contrast Essays Conclusion
- 20 Interesting & Creative Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
- Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for College Students
- Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for High School Articles
- Compare and Contrast Topics for Middle School
- Good Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 6th Grade
- Pro Tips for a Great Compare and Contrast Essay
- Compare and Contrast Essay Example
“Samsung is a better mobile phone than iPhone because I prefer Samsung.”
That does not sound persuasive or informative, do it?
“Samsung is a better solution than iPhone because iOS devices have limited access to various apps, games, and other entertaining content, and they are more expensive for no good reason.”
This statement sounds better. It is just one out of many possible compare and contrast essay topics. If you wish to learn how to write a compare and contrast essay to improve your GPA or handle another homework assignment, the text below with all important steps would be helpful. This article is about similarities and differences you need to analyze.
Those students who study hard are looking for more than information on how to write 5 paragraph compare and contrast essays – feel free to find a helping hand in the face of online writing service. This article is created by our experts.
Compare and Contrast Essay Outline: 2 Different Approaches
A good compare and contrast essay outline is far more complicated than the rest of the academic article outline templates. It depends on which strategy the author chooses to present the chosen objects. In case the best step to introduce both topics is through point-by-point comparison, obey this structure:
- Introductory paragraph
- Presentation of overall idea
- Particular issue to discuss
Fields the author is going to explore in the article
Issue 1 - Aspect 1
Issue 2 - Aspect 1
Issue 1 - Aspect 2
Issue 2 - Aspect 2
Issue 1 - Aspect 3
Issue 2 - Aspect 3
- Review of the basic ideas
- Assessment and/or potential developments (forecasts)
In case of subject-by-subject comparison, simply focus on the topic 1 at the beginning (list issues & aspects) and then move to the second topic. Conclude on their differences and similarities in the closing paragraph.
How to Write Compare and Contrast Essay: Defining This Type of Paper
This type of assignment is an academic paper, which depicts 2 or more similar yet different things by focusing on what they have in common and what makes them different. The purpose is to make a reader see the way chosen objects are interconnected.You may start by picking a couple of good subjects to differentiate and draw parallels.
Prewriting StageBefore you start writing an essay make sure to do the following:
- Check the assignment instructions and make sure you understand them
- Brainstorm and choose the topics
- Make a research and take some notes to have a basis for your writing
- Create a thesis statement first, as it expresses the main idea of your essay
- Create an outline
- Start writing
Compare and Contrast Essays Introduction. How to Start
If you do not know how to start your compare and contrast essay, follow such an algorythm:
- An introduction usually starts with a catchy hook sentence, as its aim is to entice the reader into reading the essay to the end. Thus, you may start you paper with an interesting or unknown fact, shocking statistics, or a joke.
- Introductory part presents the main point and shares the primary data about the chosen subject with the reader. Introduce your topic and provide some background information on it.
- Add a strong and clear thesis statement in the end of the paragraph. The opening paragraph must contain a brief explanation of the selected ideas to analyze (stress why the offered text might be valuable for the reader).
In the body of your essay present all your main arguments
- Discuss one aspect of the chosen subjects per paragraph
- Express your ideas clearly and develop them logically
- Make sure to compare and contrast
- Add topic sentences to each paragraphs
- All the ideas presented in the paragraphs should resonate with the thesis statement.
- Use linking words
The Importance of Comparing and Contrasting
Many students usually make such a mistake. They consider that comparing and contrasting is the same; however, it's not.
The essay is called compare and contrast.
Contrasting presupposes discussing the differences of the subjects.
Make sure you highlight both aspects in your essay.
Transitions An important part of compare and contrast essays is transitional verbs for a smooth flow of your essay. They also help avoid word repetitions and repetitive sentence structures. You may use the following transitions in your essay:
- in contrast
- on the one/other hand
- just like
- neither.. nor
- both.. and
- just like
Compare and Contrast Essays Conclusion
Once a student is done with the article body paragraphs, he/she should start working on the next step - the closing part of the paper, which often leaves the last impression. It means a writer should try hard to leave positive impressions. In a conclusion, provide a summary of the introduced evidence, restate the thesis statement by rewording it (do not copy-paste a thesis sentence from the introduction). Do not forget about the most important step - to show all similarities and differences.
Keep in mind that this sort of writing assignment constitutes a large-scale expository paper – brush up to challenge both!
20 Interesting & Creative Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
To make it easier, our experts have divided some of the best topics into 4 different categories. Have a look at the offered ideas. Those are the possible examples, so try to come up with a unique, exciting idea to impress the teacher!
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for College Students
- Economic Theory of Karl Marx with Contemporary Capitalistic Movement
- Constitution of the United States versus the Constitution of the United Kingdom
- Political Regimes in the United States Today & a Century Ago
- Working as a Marketing Specialist and Being a Human Resources Manager: Duties They Have in Common and Things That Make People of These Professions Different
- Renaissance & Baroque Art: Specific Features That Make These Genres Similar Yet Different at the same Time (include professional terminology to stress your in-depth knowledge of the problem)
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for High School Articles
- Private Schools & Public Schools: Differences Plus Similarities
- Should People Live in Official Marriage or Civil Union?
- The Government of the US versus the Government of Student’s School
- Early specimen & Christopher Columbus: Differences & Similarities
- Football Clubs from Europe or Football Clubs from the United States
Compare and Contrast Topics for Middle School
- Celebrating Christmas in the United States is Better Than in Europe
- Role Models for Teens & Role Models for Grown-Ups
- Cars versus Trains: A More Comfortable Transport to Ride Long Distances
- Fiction and Non-Fiction Literature: Which Is a More Fun to Read?
- What Are the Benefits of Remote Education over Traditional Learning?
Good Compare and Contrast Essay Topics for 6th Grade
- Marvel’s Spiderman or Iron Man
- Super Mario Land versus Sonic for PlayStation 2
- Nintendo or Xbox: Why One Replaced Another over Time
- Playing Games Outside or Staying at Home with TV
- Winter Sports against Summer Sports: Pros & Cons of Each Type
Pro Tips for a Great Compare and Contrast EssayFollow the tips from professional writers and receive and A+ for your paper
- Make sure you have basis for comparison, a criteria based on which the subjects will be compared and contrasted
- Create a list of similarities and differences before writing an essay
- Create an outline before writing
- Make sure to add a strong and debatable thesis statement
- Use transitional words, such as like/unlike, likewise, however, but, in contrast, similar to, etc.
- Make sure to provide facts/arguments for the both side
- Do not forget to compare (discuss similarities) and contrast (discuss differences)
- Keep to classical 5 paragraph essay structure
- Proofread the paper
Compare and Contrast Essay Example
That is how to deal with it! Another thing that may help a school/college student to develop a good homework assignment comparing several objects is a good example. Discover a plenty of free paper examples, helpful writing tools, ideas, and cheap custom writing services without leaving your home!
Good compare and contrast essays can be done fast and easy in case you cooperate with our writing service. The team of our writers can provide you with perfectly-done paper on time and with no signs of plagiarism and proper style. Compare and contrast essays writing can be a challenging task, especially if you are suffering from the luck of time. Similarities and differences of your topic can be easily described by our writers. They will analyze your task and create a perfect paper to read.
Just place a new order with all details clear, check the process, contact our support if needed, and get your paper done on time by our writers. You can share with us a book or any other important details and materials. It is up to you what to decide.
It is hard to study so many subjects at the same time. In case you study hard, there will be no spare time for you and sometimes there are just too many tasks to do and too many words to write. We are the code of your success. Our service is not new in this business. And you can count on proper support and successful result.