“Although many people consider the character of Darth Vader from “Star Wars” a villain, I have got some arguments that prove the role of his alter-ego, Anakin Skywalker, had all reasons to turn to the dark side. He remained more humanistic than many other characters of the saga.”
That is how a student can guess how to write a character analysis essay from book or movie. The most important part is choosing the character. Unless your teacher assigns a specific, boring topic like the characters of Shakespeare’s book (that is a chestnut), try to come up with a unique literary idea based on the favorite story. Read the article to learn how to write a character analysis essays step by step!
If students are searching for the effective help with book character analysis essays in the real-time regime, the best, time-checked option is to place an order with an expert writing service.
What is a Character Analysis Essay?
“What is a character analysis essay?” Usually that kind of thoughts a student faces this type of literary assignment for the first time. It is a separate type of academic assignment, usually assigned to the Literature class, which contains a detailed description of the specific character’s appearance, traits, actions, plot development, and other features mentioned in the book or movie.
Writing a character analysis might be fun if a student has a right to choose the topic. It is not necessary to discuss only fiction characters – think about taking a person from the real world.
How to Write a Character Analysis Essay: Student’s Mini-Guide
Before we explore how to write a character analysis essay step by step, read a useful advice from an industry expert.
A word from Expert:
“The primary thing to realize if a student wants to learn how to write a character analysis essays is the fact this process involves an in-depth observation of the recommended reading materials along with the intensive research and attention to details that matter. An interview with an expert might give a lot of details too. Reveal the chosen character trough dialogues, narrative, and plot. Remember: distinguished writers develop characters with various facets to focus paper on these complexities, lifting out the main conflict of composition”
Anthony Salvatore, a manager and expert writer at JustBuyEssay
Character Analysis Essay Outline
A character analysis essays outline is a must-have action plan to implement if you wish to succeed in your writing.
- Introduction: Like any other essays, start a character essay with an introduction. The introduction must hold together the entire essay. After writing an interesting hook to grab the reader's attention, move to the thesis statement and jump to the body paragraphs.
- Body part. Subdivide the next part of the character essay into several different ideas. A student will have to support each of the objective and subjective judgments with the help of valuable evidence collected from the relevant, up-to-date, trustworthy sources. It is up to the writer to decide which literary sources to cite and reference in his essays:
- Academic journals
- Scholarly articles
- Documentaries & films
- Conclusion: Shape a final character thesis statement. Do not copy-paste the thesis sentence from introduction to avoid self-plagiarism. Present information literary. List the main points discussed in the body section in the shape of a summary to remind the reader what you were talking about and why the specific characters were chosen. End up with a concluding sentence that will leave a strong impression on the reading audience.
Character Analysis Essays Introduction
What is the role of introduction and how could a character analysis essays introduction look like? If you describe the characters from “Batman,” for example, start with a hook like “Bruce Wayne was not a protagonist of the story; this character led to the deaths of many people by refusing to invest his money into charity, environmental issues, and more.” It is an intriguing, non-standard hook. Most people tend to view Batman as a positive character. It is a good idea to show another side. Focus on the fact because his rich alter-ego did not support some of the city’s enthusiast like the personality of Pamela Lillian Isley who wanted to support the environment, many of those people end up mutating and turning into negative characters. Stress these people had a chance if not Batman.
How to Write a Conclusion for a Character Analysis Essays?
In the body paragraphs of a character analysis, a student has to discuss why he/she believes Batman is not an entirely positive figure as many kids believe by listing the reasons. You may come up with the argumentative points.
- Batman never shared his money with everyone who needed it
- The character felt no sorry for the deaths of villains who used to be human beings before
- A popular character was not even a real superhero as he did not have any supernatural powers
The summary of these points will work literary for the character analysis essays conclusion; in the body, a writer should also add evidence like in-text citations. Recall some episodes from the movie or comics to support your view.
As for the conclusion, there is no need to write the evidence again: name the 3 arguments from the body paragraphs and restate the thesis. To leave an impression, provide some shocking facts about the characters. It could be: “The next time we will see another Batman-related movie, he might start murdering people.”
There is nothing complicated about writing a character analysis!
Have a look at a brilliant and literary structure of the character analysis essays example; this one is based on “The Great Gatsby” novel. An interesting idea about this book would be to compare & contrast characters and their personality or display how one interacts with another. For example conflict situations could be strong checkpoints for an essays analysis.
Main argument/thesis: Tom Buchanan is what the main character Nick calls a scathing reflection of the old money society as unsafe and full of fears even though he seems to have a significant privilege in the shape of beautiful wife and wealth.
Body paragraph #1: The trappings of Buchanan life stress his privilege and unsafety. Supporting evidence:
- Lots of polo horses
- Incredible richness
- Year spent overseas in France (luxury)
- Fancy house
- Gorgeous wife
Body paragraph #2: Tom’s personality and mood continuously point to his insecurity. Supporting facts:
- Prefers to cheat on his wife with lower-class females as they are easier to dominate
- Remains rather sad and full of heavy thoughts that his days of glory in soccer are gone
- Believes the role of elite is near to be swept off the map
Body paragraph #3:
His ongoing policing of the actions of others points to the fact the man wishes to reinforce social separation by status. Supporting arguments:
- Contributing money to the Gatsby’s criminal affairs thinking he is a bootlegger
- Mocking the pink suit
- Purchasing 10 dogs by throwing cash at Myrtle
Conclusion: Tom Buchanan’s privilege just makes him feel above other people and believe he is a victim whose social status is under the threat of being usurped. Like Nick mentioned, this man is a scathing image of old money royalty.
That was a clear, simple method to understand how to write a character analysis essays. If you need more information or exclusive help with character analysis essays - we help students 24/7!